So, the site has some new DNS bling today. 2 new subdomains.


Hyperboria address. Will be vital for talking to the VPN over Hyperboria when that’s available, but in the short term, it’s just a convenient and cool way to access the site via CJDNS.


Clearnet IPv6 address of the site. I haven’t been able to properly test this yet, as I don’t have IPv6 access at my house except through Hyperboria, but I’m reasonably confident it works.

A note on TLDs - .com vs .net

I’ve set up so that nginx considers any request to *.roaming-initiative.* a valid request, and will not try to 301 redirect that to first server_name directive in the config. And that’s important when most of your subdomains are DNS’d to different IP addresses intentionally. So .com and .net are both equally correct.

An issue that I caught when testing this is that the prebuilt Hyde blog template, which I haven’t customized that much yet, depends on CDN copies of things like JQuery. This is kind of an issue with network portability and privacy, as uncached requests will depend on clearnet IPv4 access, and expose this site as the referrer for the request (which, admittedly, is not that big a privacy leak in a pragmatic sense, but it’s just totally incongruous in a philosophical sense, and needs to be fixed). This isn’t really an issue yet thanks to ubiquitous IPv4 access (if you have internet, you have that), but in the future world I’m trying to promote where Hyperboria is free-to-access and only the clearnet has paid gateways, it would be a bit of an issue to any mesh-only visitors shopping around between CVIs. Better to just fix it now by hosting our own copy of JQ, and any other resources Hyde might be trying to pull in remotely by default.

In closing

Next microsteps are going to involve trimming out external dependencies in Hyde, planning out the server architecture (especially in terms of packaging), and getting back to active work on DEJE. I’ve made some serious leaps in the design problems that were previously stalling the project, and there’s some exciting stuff coming down that pipe, not least of all the ability to embed CTree objects and static resources pulled from a DHT. Which are a bit overkill for the base project’s initial use as the basis for decentralized DNS, but it’s nice to know that DEJE will support those things at some point.